The Three Rs: Preparing an Empty Home
When looking at homes for sale, it is a familiar sight to see the perfectly staged couches, the brilliantly lit rooms tastefully arranged with carpets, end tables, and bookcases. Sometimes it can seem as though the only way to sell a house in the Quad Cities is by first going to IKEA and buying a whole new set of furniture! While it is certainly the case that the eyes of prospective buyers are drawn to listings that give some indication of how a room can be arranged, it is far from true that an empty home means an empty list of offers.
If your home is about to go on the market but has nothing inside of it to demonstrate its livability, don’t panic! Here are some quick and easy tips for getting your home, empty as it might be, appealing and attractive to prospective buyers.
Usually, the need to shift furniture around and cover everything it drop cloths makes painting a room a herculean task. But you don’t have that problem! Slapping a fresh coat of paint onto the walls of your bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathrooms will immediately make your house more welcoming.
This will also give you a chance to update outdated and tired colors, showcasing just how modern looking the house can be.
Small holes in the walls where pictures were hung? Decaying caulk around the sink or bathtubs? Now is the time to remedy these situations. With a very modest investment in some caulk and spackle you can erase unsightly aspects of your home in an afternoon. If a prospective buyer can envision themselves moving into your old home without needing to spend hours of time fixing minor issues, they are far more likely to give it some serious consideration.
Tiles, doorknobs, faucets, and floors often fall to the wayside when it comes to sprucing up a home. Now is the time to change that! Break out the rags, the metal polish, and the wax, make yourself a playlist, and get ready to expend some elbow grease. I know this might not sound like the most fun thing in the world, but put yourself in the mind of the homebuyer. Do you prefer floors that lie in a dull state of neglect, or do you want to see them shining with life? Do you want to see the remnants of showers past lying in the grout between bathroom tiles, or do you want to feel as though you are the first person to ever walk barefoot to the tub?
As an extra bonus, all of this cleaning will ensure that the home smells amazing when it is time for the open house.
By taking time to engage in the Three Rs, your home will sparkle – a factor that easily makes up for the lack of furniture and decorations.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Home's Value
- Increasing Your Home's Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Preparing Garages and Sheds
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
- Porch and Patio Renovations
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.