The Search for Mold
Our last article dealt with the dangers of attempting to sell a home with mold. There, we learned two things:
- A home with an acknowledged mold problem will scare off most home-buyers and likely result in a drastic reduction in the asking price.
- A home without an acknowledged mold problem can very easily become a legal issue after the home has sold, with the new homeowners going after the previous seller for damages (this option is possible regardless of whether or not the home seller was aware of the mold issue).
Today, we are going to continue with the topic of mold. Specifically, to a question that should come up after reading the previous article.
I know that I shouldn’t sell a home with a mold problem, but how do I know if one even exists?
Contrary to what you might see in pictures and movies, mold doesn’t always manifest itself as large black stains running down a wall. Yes, this scenario is possible, but it is entirely possible that a less noticeable mold problem exists in your home. Even in situations where mold is relegated to a small corner of a house, a basement, or an attic, the presence of the spores can still result in health problems for those inhabiting the home. This means that no matter how minor-seeming a mold issue might be, taking care of it is still a top priority if you hope to receive the asking price for you home as well as avoid any legal issues with future buyers.
If you are looking to sell your home and are unsure whether or not there is mold present, you have your path cut out for you. The first step should be to explore the darker corners of the building, especially in places where there might be an accumulation of moisture like bathrooms (especially ones without decent ventilation) and basements (especially ones prone to flooding during rainy seasons). Mold loves two things more than anything else: darkness and moisture. If there is any place in your home where either of these two factors might be present, it is worth making a close examination of that space in order to ascertain whether or not mold has taken hold. Water stains along ceilings, for instance, are a good indication that there might be a problem.
If you’ve looked and aren’t sure whether or not a mold problem exists, you can always call an expert in to test the air quality for you. This is the only sure-fire way to know if mold exists or not. While not every home contains mold, it is important to make sure that yours is clear of the toxic organisms before attempting to list it or invite prospective buyers to tour the place.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Preparing Garages and Sheds
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
- Porch and Patio Renovations
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.