The Importance of Repainting
In our last article, we talked about why and when you will want to think about repainting a home before potential buyers come a-knocking. Today, we are going to shift our discussion away from the emotional side and take a look at the more tactical elements of this conversation.
Now, before we get started, it’s always a good idea to have a second opinion. By this, we mean that if you think some repainting is in order – and even if you don’t – then we recommend first having someone else walk through the house with you, looking at the areas you’ve highlighted, perhaps finding new ones. This person could be your realtor or it could be a trusted friend or even a neighbor. The important part is that they are someone whose opinion you trust and who you know will be honest with you when it comes to saying whether or not a room, a wall, or maybe the trim needs a new coat.
Okay, so you’ve identified several rooms that could use some tonal shifts, and you’ve gotten verification from a trusted source that, yes indeed, paint would be a good idea. Now what? Well, chances are good that the repainting projects are focused on rooms with vibrant colors, things that are perhaps loud or at least noticeable. When repainting for potential buyers, you will want to simply swing in the opposite direction. Colors should be muted, tasteful, and quiet. This doesn’t mean that you should whitewash from floor to ceiling, but it does mean that perhaps the accent wall you’re so proud of might need to come down a little in volume.
The trick here is not to swing too far in the other direction. While potential buyers don’t want to feel as though they’re entering a home full of your own history, they also want to look at the house and think, “That’s beautiful, I want that.” In other words, just because you might need to pull back on the color scheme doesn’t mean that you’re going to want to obliterate all personality from the place. The balance lies in creating the sort of personality that makes room for others rather than one that fills the space.
Softer blues, off-white and creamy colors, mossy greens are a good place to start. Nothing dark, and nothing loud, but too far the other direction and you land with a clinical feel that is equally off-putting.
Fortunately, while this project does add a modicum of work to your already heavy load, painting while moving is always easier than painting around a lived-in space. There’s a good chance that much of your furniture is already gone, meaning that you possibly won’t be needing to move couches, bookcases, and wardrobes in order to apply the fresh coats of paint. Simply get the brushes and the buckets and begin! This can also be transformed into a great bonding task with friends and family, so don’t be shy about asking for help during this time.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.