The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
After spending some time looking into the specific sorts of difficulties faced by those looking to sell a home with children, today we are going to wrap up the subject in a fitting manner. While our previous posts have focused on how to navigate the upcoming sale, how to prepare your home for showing, and how to best introduce your children to the concept that the home will be sold, today we are going to leap forward in time to a date when the home has been sold.
Why? You might ask. If the whole point is to prepare for the selling of the home, why look any further than the time at which this sale happens? Because for children (for all of us, really), the home selling process does not end when the final paperwork has been signed, when the money changes hands, when all the documents and deeds have been transferred to the appropriate person. The end of the sale, in other words, is just the beginning.
Children don’t have the luxury of looking back over an entire life when it comes to navigating the present. They don’t have a catalog of lessons learned, or trials overcome. They don’t know that change is a constant part of life. Leaving a home, a neighborhood, a city, or a state, can strike a child like a natural disaster. Even if a child seems content understanding of the situation, there is a very good chance that they are experiencing some difficult emotions within themselves.
An extremely important first step is to keep the lines of communication open between you and your children. Check in with them regularly about how they are feeling. Ask them about their fears, ask them about their hopes. Don’t make the mistake of assuming that they will come to you with questions. Even if they don’t want to speak to you, just by continually reminding them that you are willing to listen could help make a rough experience into something far less damaging.
Depending on how far away you move, your child might be without friends in a new school and neighborhood. Isolation will make the effects of the move even more difficult to handle, so it is important to try and help your child become engaged with peers as soon as you can. This can be done by arranging playdates with other children in the area, attending extracurricular school activities, and generally participating in social activities and settings.
We hope that these past four articles have left you feeling something other than dread about home selling with children. Yes, it is a daunting prospect, but it is also something that millions of people do each year, coming out the other side different, but hopefully strengthened.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Preparing Garages and Sheds
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
- Porch and Patio Renovations
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.