Simple Tricks to Increasing the Value of Your Home
It is not uncommon for people thinking of selling their homes to wonder just how to make sure that they can get the maximum profit from the experience. It is somewhat frustrating that a home’s value is not fully known until after it sells (after all, it doesn’t matter what an appraiser tells you the place is worth if nobody is willing to pay that price), but the fluid nature of a home’s worth also means that you can shift the conversation in the opposite direction. In other words, we often hear people talking about how one thing or another can lower the value of a home, but what about raising the value of your home? You might be surprised to learn that it is a fairly simple process to begin, and that often small improvements have large results.
So, where to begin? Let’s start at a place where we all spend a lot of time but that we don’t think about too often.
Perhaps more than any other room in your home, the bathroom will speak to a potential buyer. Dirty caulking, leaking toilets, stained porcelain, a lime-caked shower all make people instantly wonder when they can leave and go look somewhere else. Bathroom improvements are an area all their own, but we will briefly state that some of the primary places to focus are the drains and the fixtures. Cleaning any blocked plumbing goes a long way into making a home more welcoming, as do components such as clean faucet handles and a toilet seat without cracks.
Another area that gets typically neglected. Many of us use the overhead fixtures as our primary source of light, never thinking that this might either be too harsh or not adequate for many people. When making a home more appealing to prospective buyers (as well as for yourself, if you are still planning on living there for any stretch of time), taking the lightning situation into account is a surefire way to bolster a home’s welcoming feel.
Now, what you do with this information is up to you. Maybe it means buying some standing lamps or table lamps, maybe it means investing in a tasteful chandelier, or maybe it means rewiring the house so that there are more outlets into which lights can be connected. The important thing is that you try and consider the lighting situation with the eyes of a stranger or a prospective buyer who is, above all, looking for a cozy and warm spot to call home.
To conclude, let’s go outside and take a look at the lawn. If you haven’t already, now is a good time to fire up the lawnmower, maybe swing by a gardening supply store and pick up some perennials and some bushes, a pair of clippers for pruning the overhanging trees, and generally sprucing up the yard. While it might seem like a waste of time (after all, people live inside the home, not in the garden), you might find yourself amazed at how much curb appeal plays into the ability to sell a home for what it is worth.
Each of these tips will help you start on your way to making your desirable as well as ensure that you are able to extract its true value from a potential buyer.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.