Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
Many people will tell you that winter is not the time to sell a home. And it is true, there are added difficulties that emerge when attempting to sell a home during the colder months than exist when it is sunnier, when the days are longer, when the air is warmer in general. However, to simply write a quarter of the year off as a bad time to try and sell a house is to do yourself a disservice. It is also to ignore some of the nuance present when it comes to the home-selling process, especially as it relates to the seasons.
Today, we want to look at the pros and cons of selling in the winter, hopefully easing your mind when it comes to trying to sell a home during this period of time, but also offering you practical knowledge so that you are best equipped to make the decision that works the best for you.
We’ll start with the grim part, which many people are already familiar with. First, let’s speak to the elephant in the room: yes, there are additional issues that arise when it comes to selling a home during the winter. First off, cold weather, clouds, and snowfall will dampen many spirits and encourage them to stay indoors rather than venture to an open house. It is also the fact that we, loving comfort, tend to enter a hibernation phase during the winter. Moving homes thus becomes more emotionally taxing during this period, as we are predisposed by nature to want to hunker down and conserve our strength.
There are other, more minor reasons that make winter home-selling a tricky proposition, but we will explore these in a future article. Today, the message is simple. Winter is a challenging time to sell homes because there are potentially less people looking to buy homes during this period of time.
Now, the positive news!
Due to the pervasiveness of the Don’t-Sell-Homes-During-Winter narrative, there are not as many people selling homes during the winter. Although it is possible that the number of people looking for homes in the winter drops somewhat dramatically due to the reasons outlined above, it is also the fact that there are still people buying homes. With the drop of the number of homes for sale, individuals looking to purchase a house in the winter months are forced to select from a somewhat smaller pool which dramatically increases the chances of your home being at the top of the desirability list. Simply put, if you chose to – or have to – sell a home during the winter, you are competing with a far fewer number of other home-sellers. This is without a doubt a blessing.
There you have it, the pros and the cons, the dark and the light. Now you can move forward knowing that whichever decision you make it will be with the full knowledge of the situation in your back pocket.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Home's Value
- Increasing Your Home's Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Preparing Garages and Sheds
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
- Porch and Patio Renovations
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.