Repainting: Why and When it Matters
There’s no question about it: painting the inside of a home is one of the best ways to make a place one’s own. Few things imprint a personal stamp on a house, a sensation of belonging, than rooms painted in unique colors selected by the homeowner. People with children might understand this more than anyone as the bedrooms of young people are quickly seen as blank canvases upon which their unencumbered imaginations can take wing. But even us boring adults are drawn towards accent walls and trim painted to complement the dominant color scheme.
Stemming as it does from such a natural instinct to nest and surround ourselves with our own personal touches, it is no surprise that so many of us have homes painted in ways that reflect our own dreams, needs, and loves. Sadly, it is often the case that what we find pleasing or inspiring is not something that scratches that same itch for another. Selling a home requires us to begin stepping outside of ourselves and asking, “what would others want to see?” Or, even more specifically, “what would the biggest number of others find the least offensive?” Essentially, and we’ve talked about this before, when selling a home you are going to need to begin removing many of the unique traces of yourself from the house.
If you’ve got rooms with lots of colors, or rooms painted specifically for children, or a wall with a fun mural on it, there’s a good chance that repainting might be needed. While it is possible that a prospective buyer will find your own touches charming or desirable, it is more likely that they will see it as an added project for when/if they buy the house. Why? Because they will want to add their own accent walls, their own murals, their own touches of themselves. Keeping this in mind, walk through the house and truly take stock of the colors. Do they speak to you and you alone? Try and put yourself in the place of the prospective buyers and ask yourself how you would feel if you were touring a possible future home and found that the rooms were bordered in the memories of another?
While repainting can be an emotionally difficult process (and this difficulty works in tandem with the amount of personality you’ve put into the walls and their color), it can also be a chance to gain some closure during the moving process. To say goodbye, in a sense, and to acknowledge that you are now moving on. Someone else will now take over the space and make it their own, beautiful and unique. Repainting gives you the chance to reset the canvas, preparing it for a years of new stories and memories.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.