Removing Pesky Home Odors
Continuing on the theme we’ve been exploring throughout our past few articles, today we are going to speak once again on the troubling topic of home odors. Like we’ve written in the past, home odors are something that are hard to recognize for those living within the home, but they are something that will be immediately noticed by anyone who enters – especially by potential buyers.
As we’ve already discussed, the first line of defense against home odors is cleaning. Vacuum, open windows, change the air filter, dust, wipe down windows, shake out the rugs. This first step will help bring an initial jolt of freshness to the air and will help you discover if there are any more serious odor problems. Hopefully, all the house really needed was some sprucing up, and now that gusts of brisk air have washed out the miasma formed by time you can rest easy knowing that any potential buyers will be able to walk through and see your home for its true self, that is, unmarred by the distracting presence of strange or unpleasant odors.
BUT: It is also possible that you’ve done all the cleaning tasks and your house still has a, well, funky tang in the air. If this is the case, you might need to up the ante a little and intensify your treatment of the issue.
Rugs do many things. They brighten the home, they soften the ground, and they help muffle sound. They also trap odors. If you find that the unpleasant odors of your home are still present even after cleaning, then there is a good chance that your rugs have collected many smells that you no no longer want hanging around.
We’ve written about the importance of cleaning rugs before, and anyone who had the chance to read those articles will have a greater understanding of the various options one has when it comes to cleaning and maintaining them. Today, we will remind you that included in that list are such things as steam cleaning and chemical cleaning, both intensive processes which will require a financial investment but will also transform your rugs into something to be proud of.
It’s not often remembered that the paint, plaster, and drywall that surrounds you is also porous. This means that it can easily collect odors, especially ones that are constantly in the home. People who smoke within their houses, for instance, will have a very hard time removing the smell of nicotine and cigarettes from their walls.
If your walls are the cause of the noxious odors in your home, you will first want to clean them. Use a rag soaked in a cleaning solution of some kind – homemade or otherwise – and give all the walls a good scrubbing. If you can reach it, the ceiling should not be ignored in this process.
Other options when it comes to cleaning the walls are usually far more invasive, but if the smell persists, they can become increasingly appealing. These options range from hiring a team to professionally clean and scrub the walls all the way up to having the drywall in the home redone.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.