Preparing Your Home For Sale: Outside Edition
Selling a home doesn’t need to be as intimidating as it can sometimes seem. While it can sometimes seem as though the list of things to do when preparing to try and sell a home goes on and on, in reality it is possible to parse this list down to the basic essentials, eliminating unnecessary stresses. Today, we will focus on some simple maintenance tips that will quickly put your home at the top of the pack in terms of curb appeal to prospective buyers.
Very few of us want to do yard work. It can be dirty, it can make us sweaty, and it never seems like it will end. All of us, on the other hand, know the feeling of enjoyment (and possibly envy) that comes from looking at a home with a well-maintained exterior. When selling your home, put yourself in the mindset of a home buyer. When driving throughout your city or town take a look at the homes you pass. Are you more attracted to the ones with scraggly and dying lawns, unkempt bushes, and dirty windows? Probably not. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some simple ways for you to get the outside of your house looking sharp and desirable.
Mowing the Lawn
Again, very few people truly enjoy mowing the lawn. Many people also believe that there’s just no point, that mowing the lawn is the equivalent of placing a top hat on a zombie: it only makes the situation more absurd. This could not be further from the truth. By simply pulling out the mower, gassing it up, and spending an hour or so doing laps across your lawn you will immediately take your home from post-apocalyptic hideout to charming family residence.
If you don’t own a rake, now’s the time to invest $20 (give or take) and purchase an essential tool in the yard maintenance kit. Decaying leaves, twigs, and garbage says many things, but none of them are “home sweet home.” When people see a clean yard, it suggests to them that this property has been cared for, and this is a key factor for attracting anyone who isn’t intending to spend the next year or so on home improvements. Make a few piles, hop in one or two, and pull it to the curb by loading it into a tarp or making several trips with a wheelbarrow.
Don’t Forget the Sidewalk
Yes, you didn’t ask for a sidewalk to run through your front yard, but nevertheless there it is, and it is your responsibility to take care of it. When prepping your home to go on the market, no matter the season, cleaning up the sidewalk is like putting a great big welcoming smile on the property. If the weather is warm, use a hose (or rent a power sprayer) to blast away excess dirt and weeds that spring up in the sidewalk cracks. If it’s winter, be sure to shovel and de-ice.
Okay, so it’s not as much fun as going to the movies, but by taking these three simple steps you will vastly increase your home’s desirability among prospective buyers in the Quad Cities.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.