Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
Even in a “sellers market”, selling a home can often feel as competitive as buying a home. As you likely remember from when you first purchased your home, there is a sense of uncertainty when you place an offer. You knew that others were likely placing offers, and it sometimes felt as though the only thing that would make your offer stand out was a hope and a prayer. Now that you are standing on the other side of this equation, you might think that the insecurity is gone, that you are the one holding all of the cards. While it is true that the market right now is tilted heavily towards those who have the property to sell, it is not the case that your home is guaranteed to attract a buyer in the timeline that you want.
Today, we want to go over some prominent turn-offs for prospective buyers, things that you might not have considered, but that could make or break the sale of your home. Our goal with this is not to engender despair, but rather raise awareness so that you can ensure your soon-to-be-sold home doesn’t linger on the market due to some preventable or treatable issue.
Check The Septic
First up is the septic system. We don’t like to think about it because, well, it’s the septic system. As long as it’s working, right? Unfortunately, there are times when the septic has issues that we are not aware of until it matters. Like when you’re trying to sell the home.
If your home fails the septic inspection (and this inspection is required unless the prospective buyer is offering cash – not a normal scenario), then no bank will offer a loan. No loan, no sale. This is a hard fact, almost as hard as the reality that a new septic system will cost upwards of $20k to fix. However, if you don’t fix a bad septic system, you will lose a lot more than $20k, so it is best to bite that bullet and take care of the problem immediately.
Check The Air Quality
Less severe in certain ways than a bad septic system is the quality of the air in your home. Because you live there, you might not be aware if your home has an odor. If this is the case, ask some trusted friends to swing by and give your their honest opinion. More than one prospective buyer has declined to put an offer on a house simply because the lingering odors within the structure have been more than they can bear.
Fortunately, bad smells (unless they are due to some larger problems) are often easily taken care of by deep cleaning. Yes, we know that this does not sound like a fun way to spend the afternoon, but if it takes a little (or a lot) of elbow grease to make sure the home sells we think that it is definitely worth the extra work.
What did we learn today? That an up-to-date septic system is essential to a home’s ability to sell, and that bad smells are a huge turn-off that are (usually) easy to take care of. Check back soon for more tips, knowledge, and professional advice!
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.