Home Selling With Children
Chances are good that among the most stressful things you will experience, home selling will land near the top of the list. Planning on uprooting and moving to a new location causes anxiety. Then there is hoping that people come to open houses; hoping that they see your home and offer something close to the asking price; hoping that all the inspections go smoothly; hoping that nobody backs out at the last minute; hoping and hoping and hoping. Only one thing can make all of this even more stressful: children.
People trying to sell their home and raise their children at the same time are engaged in an extremely difficult task. Not only do you have to navigate all the things that everyone selling a home must, you are also responsible for handling the emotional needs and physical presence of beings who, though we love them, often make life far more challenging than it otherwise might be.
For this reason, we are going to be spending a few days on the topic of how to prepare a home for sale when there are children in the mix.
The first and probably the most important thing to do is to make sure that your children understand what is happening. Often, parents assume that the knowledge of the move will cause their children some distress. While it is entirely possible that children will be unhappy at the idea of relocating to another home, another city, another school, it is also a fact that hiding the information from them will only lead to even more trouble down the line.
Take the time to sit down with your children and explain what is about to happen. Tell them about the sale, about the move. Yes, they might be upset, but there is also a good chance that they will want to help prepare the home. You can transform the experience into a chance to bond as a family, with the children assisting you in repainting, cleaning, picking up toys, and taking the time to remember the things you did in this home that you will be leaving soon.
There is no way to escape the challenges associated with home selling and the extra challenge of trying to sell a home with kids. However, there are ways to transform the experience into one of connection rather than resentment, something that will resonate far beyond the time it takes to finalize the sale of the home.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.