Fixing a Flooded Basement
For those faithful readers who follow this website, today will come as a welcome addition to our catalog of articles for those looking to sell their home. Why? Because today we supply the second half of our two-part series on basements and water!
Last time, we offered a fairly general introduction to the topic, essentially indicating that the flooding of basements is not uncommon and that there are many options other than panic available to those who find themselves dealing with flooding basements. Regardless of whether or not your basement floods because of snow melt, heavy rain, poor plumbing, or another reason…there is very likely a remedy.
Some people chose to ignore the water, knowing that it will go down eventually. Is this a good idea? No, it is not. Why? Because, as we have discussed in other articles, continual water concentration can easily lead to mold, especially when this water is concentrated in dark places. Like basements.
If you are looking to sell your home and you know your basement has chronic leaking issue, then the best possible option is to deal with this problem as soon as possible. The easiest way to do this is, of course, to hire a professional to come and assess the problem. When this professional arrives at your home, the first thing they will do is try and ascertain just where the water is coming from.
Because most basements of most homes are below ground level, this means that they are close to the water table. When the table rises due to things like rain or melting snow, the soil surrounding the basement will become saturated, squeezing your basement like a vice. It is through this pressure that water can begin to seep in through the walls. Additionally, many people find that the water will simply pour up from the ground. This is one of the many reasons why so many homes do not have carpets in their basement, and why basement carpeting is always a risky decision to make.
Fixes for the problem of water inside of basements range from expensive and highly effective to cheaper with slightly less efficacy. Many people wind up opting for a simple pump and hose system, which is certainly the lightest on wallets even if it admits to never actually solving the problem fully.
Regardless of which way you decide to go on this issue, the main thing is to have a solution in place. Potential buyers will want to know if the basement floods, and, if so, what gets done about it. Simply shrugging and saying, “beats me” is a great way to turn off potential buyers. Have a plan in place, if for no other reason than it will make your home that much more appealing to those engaged in the buying process.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Preparing Garages and Sheds
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
- Porch and Patio Renovations
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.