Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
Maximizing a home’s attractiveness remains one of the absolute most important aspects of preparing a home for selling. We’ve written about it often, and we’ll keep writing about it because, A) it is something that greatly impacts the salability of a home, and B) it is something that you can actually change.
You can’t move your house to a different, more desirable location. You can’t single-handedly renovate all of the homes around you in order to make your neighborhood more appealing. You can’t repave your road, you can’t move a park across the street. What you can do, however, far outweighs what you can’t. Today, we are going to share a very simple trick that will drastically improve the appeal of your soon-to-be-sold home in both photographs and during the inevitable open house: improve your lighting.
It’s something that we’ve talked about before, but today we will be spending all of our time on this one subject. Simply put, the vast majority of people do not want to live in a dark home. Homes with thick drapes, ugly lamps with 500 watt bulbs, and dirty windows communicate one thing to prospective buyers: RUN. You might have an updated roof, a leak-proof basement, and heated floors, but if your home looks like a set piece for the Silence of the Lambs then you will find yourself struggling to attract interested parties.
Fortunately, it is relatively simple – and inexpensive – to completely transform the lighting situation so that your home shines both literally and figuratively.
To begin with, remove old and dusty drapes. This isn’t to say that you shouldn’t have any curtains at all, but it is worth seriously evaluating whether or not the fabric you’ve been using needs to be washed or thrown away. Consider purchasing lightweight and light-colored fabrics for curtains, something that will not block out the sun but will still enable privacy.
Second, get out some cleaning supplies and wash the windows. Newspaper is still a great way to ensure that there are no streaks, but if its been a while since you’ve scrubbed at the glass then you might need to go over everything several times. For truly deep cleans, it is worth investing in some high-grade glass cleaner.
This is just the beginning of how to improve the lighting situation in your home. Stay tuned for more!
- Home Improvements
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Simple Home Repairs
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.