Efficiency & Cleanliness: The Interior of Your Home
When we walk into a home, we immediately begin to interpret what we see. If we are guests of this home, we begin to formulate judgments on the homeowner (they are messier than I am, they have wonderful taste in furniture, they know how to arrange a space for maximum efficiency, etc). If, on the other hand, we are interested in buying the home, our judgments are all whittled down to one simple question: Can I see myself living here? It is of vital importance therefore for those attempting to sell a home in the Quad Cities to prepare the interior of their home as a resoundingly positive answer to this question.
Obviously this is tricky. Not everyone thinks the same way when it comes to decoration, and many people make the mistake of attempting to define the possibilities of their property too much. To navigate between these two outcroppings, what is needed is an arrangement that fulfills two qualities at the same time: that of being full enough to appear usable but not so full that it seems limited in possibility. While achieving these two goals might seem almost impossible the opposite is actually the case. How? By making sure the space is clean and that things are put away.
If you plan on inhabiting your home during the home-selling process, you want to make sure that the rooms are arranged tastefully and that as much excess as possible is packed away. This might mean purchasing some large plastic totes to put in the garage or basement. That is okay! Your primary goal is to make the main area of your home say, “Welcome! Kick off your shoes, relax, and think of how comfortable and happy you will be here.” Some of the essential activities to make this dream a reality include:
- Vacuuming: More thoroughly than ever before! Pull the couch away from the wall, extend the nozzle to reach under the bed, and DO NOT forget the corners where the wall meets the ceiling.
- Dust: You might be amazed to discover that not everything you own is grey.
- Wax hardwood floors: It isn’t nearly as arduous as it sounds, and it immediately makes wood look like it belongs in a palace.
- Polish bathroom/kitchen fixtures: Especially if you’ve got hard water, getting those calcium deposits off of the faucets and knobs is key to making your bathrooms and kitchen look ready for years of future use. *Pro-Tip* – Store-bought white vinegar works miracles when it comes to cleaning up mineral stains.
If it isn’t being used, put it away: this goes for clothing, books, kids toys, kitchen utensils, cleaning supplies, games, bags, shoes, and almost anything else that isn’t a piece of furniture.
Again, the main principle at work here is to make the house look inviting but also open for change. Too much clutter, too much mess communicates to any prospective buyer that this is the way things are and this is the way things will always be. For most people, this is an immediate turn-off, causing them to shift their search to more welcoming environments.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.