Discovering the Value of Your Home
One thing that almost every single homeowner begins to ask themselves when they contemplate putting their house up for sale is: Just what is this thing worth? Even if you aren’t in the market to sell your home you may find yourself asking this same question, and it is one that is certainly worth knowing the answer to.
Unfortunately, it is rather difficult to pinpoint the exact value of a home until it actually lands on the market and you are actually fielding offers to purchase. However, there are several easy ways of getting a decent idea of what your home might be worth before the open house.
In fact, it is highly encouraged that homeowners do some research and put in a little time and money to discover the estimated value of their home before attempting to sell. Why? Well, most importantly, it gives homeowners a good idea of ways in which they can increase the value of the home, something that will absolutely come in handy when/if it comes time to sell. Today, we will share some of the simplest ways of attempting to discover the value of your home.
Hire a Home Appraiser
This is a quick and fairly hands-off approach to assessing the value of a home. We’ve discussed the idea in previous posts at some length, but the process involves hiring a licensed appraisal officer who will travel to your property, inspect both the inside and outside, and present you with the estimated value of your home.
Unfortunately, the number that the appraiser comes up with doesn’t always correspond to what you can actually expect to get if you decide to sell the property and structure.
Numerous real estate websites now exist that will tell you the prices of homes in and around your area. Sites such as Zillow and Trulia are useful resources in this regards. Via their compressive and customizable search engines, you can look for homes that have sold and homes that are for sale comparable to your own. By doing this, many people find they can get a fairly accurate market estimation for their home.
Talk to a Realtor
Nothing beats the wisdom of a professional. By going directly to a qualified realtor you can quickly invite a practiced eye into your home. Not only will this person be able to give you a general estimate regarding the likely value of your home, they will also be able to help you brainstorm about ways of improving the value of your home and making it more appealing to prospective buyers.
Regardless of whether or not you choose one or all three of these routes, you will certainly find yourself in a better informed position when it comes time to list your home.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Home's Value
- Increasing Your Home's Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Preparing Garages and Sheds
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
- Porch and Patio Renovations
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.