Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
During the past decade or so, mold has increasingly emerged as an incredibly important topic when it comes to home maintenance. For years, the issues around mold were ignored, largely due to the lack of knowledge held by most people regarding the health issues associated with the organisms. When studies began to emerge and reach the public sphere, they were alarming. These studies revealed that mold, particularly a strain called stachybotrys chartarum (more commonly known as black mold) rapidly affects the health of individuals exposed to it, sometimes with extremely severe symptoms and health complications.
Now more than ever, attempting to sell a home that suffers from a mold problem is extremely difficult. Simply put, people do not want to move into a location plagued by mold which they will then have to deal with. While there are some individuals who will attempt to downplay the seriousness of mold, hide the existence of mold in their homes, or simply ignore the fact that the mold is growing, these actions are both morally wrong and extremely unlikely to result in anything but anger on the part of potential buyers.
Some of the possible outcomes of selling a home with mold include:
Massive Price Reduction
Because mold remediation can be costly and time consuming (especially if the mold problem has gone untreated for sometime), prospective purchasers will begin to balk at the asking price of your home. The presence of mold will cause the value of your home in the eyes of the home-buying public to drop significantly, leaving you in a position where you are not getting what you hoped from the sale of the house.
A reduced sale price is, however, the most positive outcome of an untreated mold problem, following numerous failed sales and irritated prospective buyers.
The worst outcome for you when it comes to untreated mold issues lies in the courts. If a homeowner sells a home with mold, and if the buyers purchase the home without knowing about the presence of mold, there is a good chance these buyers will turn to the homeowner for an answer. And they will come with lawyers.
If/when those who purchased the home discover the mold, they will very likely begin to explore the options of a lawsuit. It doesn’t matter if the previous seller knew about the problem and simply didn’t tell the buyers or if the previous seller had no idea the mold existed at all. If you sell a home and that home has a mold issue that you have not remedied you are placing yourself in an extremely vulnerable situation where the buyer could easily come after you for numerous reasons and levels of compensation.
- Home Improvements
- Major Turn-Offs for Home Buyers
- Discover Your Homes Value
- Increasing Your Homes Value
- Simple Steps to Improving the Yard
- Cleaning Up Your Home’s Exterior
- Preparing Your Home For Sale
- The Interior of Your Home
- Preparing an Empty Home
- Staging a Home for Showing
- Steps to Staging Your Home
- Inspections and Pest Control
- Ridding Your Home of Pests
- Home Appraisals
- Property Assessments
- Enhancing Your Home’s Natural Lighting
- Upgrade Your Home’s Lighting Before Selling
- Eliminating Home Odors Before Selling
- Dealing with Odors in Your Home
- Removing Pesky Home Odors
- Addressing Pet Damage Before Selling Your Home
- Potential Pet Problems During Home-Selling
- Repainting: Why and When it Matters
- The Importance of Repainting
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Selling a Home in the Winter
- Winter Tricks for Home-Selling
- An Introduction to Selling Your Home in the Spring
- Self-Care for Home Sellers
- Simple Home Repairs
- Fixing Up Your Garage Before Selling
- Improving & Updating Your Garage
- The Truth About Roofs
- The Process of Roof Replacements
- Mold Testing & Remediation
- The Search for Mold
- Dangers of Selling a Home With Mold
- Dealing With Water in Your Basement
- Fixing a Flooded Basement
- Home Selling With Children
- The Emotional Challenges of Moving with Children
- Preparing Your Children for Moving Day
- The Difficulties of Home Selling Involving Children
- Fun with Flooring
- Economical Carpet Cleaning Choices
- Carpet Cleaning When Selling Your Home
- DIY Hardwood Floor Installations
- Making an Impression Using Windows
- Easy Window Prep for Home Selling
- Fixing Up Your Home’s Windows
- Tips for Handling Storage While Staging
- Clearing Snow Before Showing a Home
- Ice Management
- Thinking About Plants When Selling Your Home
- Caring for Complicated Cabinets
- Preparing Your Home’s Exterior for Spring
Couldn’t have asked for more! Rich is prompt, efficient, caring and very personable. Rich was great. Stormy was terrific, and the fact that they took care of a problem that arose long after the closing was serice above and beyond. We were very pleased.
Rich was very helpful in selling our home. Always willing to offer opinions and solutions as we went thru the sales process. He was always available to answer questions. I highly recommend him to help buy or sell your home.
My house was listed and sold in under a week – and the process was easy. Rich’s assistant Stormy was amazing and was always quick to respond to any of my questions. They took care of everything for me.
We found ourselves in a sticky situation, already under contract with a buyer, and then there was a horrible weather event that could have destroyed the sale. Rich was there to hold all the pieces together, and did so much work on all our parts to make sure the deal stayed together. I don’t think we would have sold without him. Rich is a national treasure!
Rich sold our house in 5 days and above asking price! We were pleasantly surprised and thankful for the quick sale, and we know it was due to his expertise and negotiation skills. Additionally, his associate, Michelle Rottach, was incredibly helpful in our search for our new house. Her patience, advice, and expertise was critical to helping us find a forever home that we love. I highly recommend their team to anyone looking to buy or sell!0.3
5 reasons to partner with Rich Bassford
- Consistently one of the Top Selling Agents in QC
- Successfully completed over 1400 transactions in his career.
- Calculates the ideal sale price to meet your expectations and attract buyers.
- Brings interested buyers to your doorstep.
- Maximizes your home’s visibility online and through his network of agents.